David and Margaret Taylor Heywood

Full biographies of Margaret and Dave are being prepared for web access. The following is a brief Summary of their lives.

David Heywood, born February 1909, and Margaret Taylor, born in March 1911, both came of Mormon pioneer stock. But David's ancestors settled in Panguitch, southern Utah and Margaret's family settled north of Salt Lake City in Farmington Utah. They met when Margaret went to Panguitch to teach high school. Margaret lost her job when she married David because of depression era employment policies. They moved north to Salt Lake Valley where Dave found work on a fox farm where they were living when their oldest child, David Michael, was born in February 1940. Dave found work with Utah Oil Company known as UTOCO. They purchased a small white house in north Salt Lake where their oldest daughter, Margaret Patricia, was born in January 1943. Their second son Arthur Welling born in May 1944 lived only a few days. Roxie Jane, their second daughter, joined the family in December 1945. Mary Catherine their youngest daughter was born in July, 1947.

Now and then Margaret worked as a substitute high school art teacher and for a short time as a nurse's aid at nearby St. Marks Hospital on Beck Street not far from the UTOCO refinery. She designed and executed remodeling on their home, converting a dining room into a sunny eat-in kitchen while the small, dark former kitchen became a guest room. Many of Dave's nephews and his two brothers had served in the military and stayed a few days in Salt Lake with Margaret and Dave while on leave.

In 1950 they purchased a small fruit farm on Orchard Drive in Bountiful, Utah.nd Dave still worked as a pipe fitter at the refinery and Margaret began working full-time as a secretary for the education department at the University of Utah. They worked the farm, doubled the size of the house by making an addition while working full time jobs. Margaret's mother took care of the children during the week.

While commuting to her job after nearly six years of living on the farm, Margaret saw a house under construction just west of Victory Drive near the state capital building in Salt Lake. Developers had made offers for the farm and the long daily commute offered another incentive to return to Salt Lake City. The contractor agreed to sell the house. In the summer of 1957 they moved into the home Margaret and Dave would live in for fifty years.

Beginning with Mike's enlistment as a marine in 1958 and Pat's marriage in May of 1962 the children grew up and left for various adventures that took them far from home. Eventually Jane and Katie married and settled in Salt Lake while Mike married and worked as a journalist in California and Washington state. Pat lived most of the next 35 years in Virginia. Margaret returned to teaching but Dave continued to work at the refinery until injuries suffered in a serious fall in 1968 eventually forced him to retire.

When Margaret retired from teaching she began to explore her talent for painting and eventually gained significant honors for her work in stained glass and watercolor. They enjoyed traveling, particularly visiting exhibitions and World Fairs including a trip to the orient. They purchased a truck back camper then a purpose built camper that they used for travel as far as Virginia and New York as well as fishing in Utah's streams.

It was during a fishing trip in 1987 that a leak in a propane line in their camper caused an explosion that nearly took their lives. They were both severely burned but even though both of them were in their seventies, they fought to return to independent living in their home on Darwin Street. Skin grafts on her face and hands required Margaret to wear Spandex mask and gloves for many months as well as special Spandex leggings to aid the healing of her thighs from which the skin grafts were taken.

Dave enjoyed reading and regularly walked several miles to the library. Margaret returned to making art. Both of them remained active and interested in current affairs as they grew older. Finally, in 2001 when he was beginning his tenth decade of life, Dave began to exhibit serious symptoms of senile dementia. His daughters cared for him and he died at home 0n March 25, 2002. Margaret fractured her hip and several ribs in a fall not long afterward but she continued her artwork after recovering The help of a skilled aide named Lillian as well as coordinated care by her daughters allowed her to live in her home until she died nearly two years after her husband in January of 2004.